What is a Learning Community?
At Iowa State University, learning communities are small groups of students who generally take one, two, or three courses together and may live in the same residence hall. Other characteristics are listed below. Since learning communities often have several of these characteristics, be sure to explore all the possibilities to find the right choice for you.
- Contact with students who have similar academic goals
- Common courses
- Common place of residence
- Career exploration
- Introduction to university resources
- Peer mentoring and/or tutoring
- Faculty mentoring
A Business Learning Team (BLT) is a group of freshmen and transfer business students who take the same sections of three courses during the fall semester and some of these students live near one another in the residence halls.
An I-BLT is a group of business students who are interested in international topics. The intent of I-BLTs is to help make the transition to ISU a bit easier, study and understand international issues, and help business students make connections with one another early in their college careers.
A T-BLTs is a group of business students who have just transferred to ISU from another College or University. The intent of T-BLTs is to help make the transition to ISU a bit easier, and help business students make connections with one another early in their college careers.
Students in the program will register for BusAd 292, Entrepreneurship & Innovation Learning Community Seminar, which meets on Tuesday mornings, from 9:30-10:50 am, in the fraternity house chapter room. The course includes an introduction to entrepreneurship and innovation, accompanied by field trips, guest speakers, mentoring, and hands-on learning activities. Students earn 1 credit per semester and can accumulate 3 credits which can be applied to the experiential learning credit required in the Entrepreneurial Studies Minor.
Our learning communities were started in 1995 and today we have 70 learning communities and more than half of our entering first-year students participate.
Applications Period for Fall 2018 Business Learning Team Peer Mentor:
Monday, January 1, 2018-Sunday, February 4, 2018
- College of Business student
- Cumulative ISU GPA of 2.50+
- Successful completion of BUSAD 102/103 or other ISU orientation course
- Ability to interact with/engage a wide range of individuals
- Commitment to fostering diversity and the exploration of new ideas
- Ability to positively reflect the College of Business and Iowa State University
- Working knowledge of College and University policies and procedures
- Ability to present information to large and small groups