Academic excellence is the hallmark of the College of Business Honors Program.
College of Business faculty and staff provide talented, motivated students with the support and encouragement they need to achieve the best business education possible. Honors students can expect to be:
- Supported to develop Honors programs of study that helps them reach their goals
- Challenged to promote personal and professional growth
- Inspired to become future leaders in the global marketplace and in their own communities
We expect Honors students to be inquisitive, eager to learn, and excited by new discoveries not only in their disciplines, but also in themselves!
All students enrolled at Iowa State University, who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above, and have more than 48 credit hours remaining until graduation, are eligible to apply to the University Honors Program. Once accepted to the University Honors Program, students will automatically become a member of the College of Business Honors Program. Eligible students are encouraged to enter the University Honors Program as early as possible to gain maximum benefits from the program.
To apply for membership in the University Honors Program, students must:
- Complete University Honors application form and Statement of Purpose
- Contact Shannon Grundmeier (College of Business Honors Program Coordinator) to discuss application materials. To request an appointment, please stop by the Undergraduate Programs Office in 1200 Gerdin.
- Develop an Honors Program of Study
In order to continue membership in the University Honors program, students must meet the following requirements:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or above
- Complete an Honors Program of Study and submit to the College of Business Honors Program Coordinator
- Complete a minimum of 2 Honors Seminars
- Complete a minimum of 50 credits at the 300-level or above
- Complete an Honors Project and present at the University Honors Poster Presentation during Fall or Spring semester of senior year
In order to graduate with honors, students must complete an Honors Project and present their work at the University Honors Poster Presentation held during the Fall and Spring semesters. This project provides students with the opportunity to explore a research interest under supervision of an Iowa State University faculty member. Students will be registered for BUSAD 490H in the semester in which research is conducted. This 1-3 credit course will be graded (A-F) by the Honors Project adviser.
To complete the Honors Project, students will:
- Brainstorm Honors project ideas by:
- Attending fall and spring University Honors Project Poster Sessions
- Talking to other Honors students about their research
- Consulting Resource Room of the Jischke Honors Building to review past project abstracts
- Identify faculty members who teach in an area that is related to topic of interest
- Talk to Honors Program Coordinator about how honors project can enhance program of study
- Select a faculty member to serve as Honors Project adviser
- Talk with project adviser about project idea(s) and narrow topic to a reasonable research project
- Begin background research on your topic
- Complete and submit Honors Project Proposal form during 2nd semester of junior year or 1st semester of senior year
NOTE: Consider submitting your proposal early if you will be off-campus during your senior year or want some breathing room during your final term.
- Conduct your research for the Honors Project
- Present your research findings at an University Honors Project Poster Session