The Master of Finance (MFin) degree at Iowa State is designed to prepare students for careers in corporate finance, financial analysis, investing and wealth management, and risk management. The Iowa State MFin is a STEM designated program, and emphasizes more quantitative methods and skills than either an undergraduate finance degree or MBA program. As the field of Finance has become more quantitative, employers are increasingly asking for and valuing hard analytical skills. Additionally, the STEM designation allows international students the opportunity to extend their Optional Practical Training (OPT) work permit for up to 36 months after graduation.
Among other core finance topics such as financial analysis and valuation, MFin students will learn advanced regression techniques and programming approaches for data analysis, time series analysis and forecasting, use of probability distributions, optimization techniques, modelling of financial and risk variables, simulation techniques, value at risk measurement, and tools for effective risk management. These tools will equip students to effectively analyze and solve problems encountered in today’s rapidly changing financial environment.
The ISU MFin program is designed to meet the diverse needs of recent undergraduates, finance professionals, economists, engineers, computer scientists, and others who are considering a new career in the field of finance.
The Iowa State Master of Finance provides you with:
- A strong foundation in mathematical optimization, statistics, and econometrics
- Detailed knowledge in the primary functional areas of Finance — Corporate, Investments, and Derivatives and Risk Management — with numerous electives that build on this foundation
- A range of advanced skills and analytical tools for sound financial decision-making
- Small classes, allowing ample interaction with nationally recognized faculty who are engaged in cutting edge research.
- State of the art facilities, all major accounting and financial databases, and over a dozen Bloomberg data terminals – the industry standard
- Outstanding career services professionals to help you find employment and launch your career. In 2011 the ISU MBA program ranked third in the nation for job placement, with 96.3% of students accepting jobs within three months of graduation
- A beautiful campus in the heart of the Midwest
The 30 required credits can be completed comfortably in one year. Students may explore electives from Economics or Statistics as well as other business disciplines such as Accounting or Information Systems.
GMAT and GRE Requirements
- GMAT or GRE acceptable.
- ISU Finance majors with a 3.25 GPA or better and all grades in required finance courses are B or better do not need to submit GMAT or GRE.
Tuition for the Master of Finance program is the same as the tuition for the MBA program. Tuition rates are posted at http://catalog.iastate.edu/tuitionfees/ . For 2016-2017, the cost in tuition and fees for Iowa resident Business graduate students is $5,656 per semester, and for non-residents the cost is $12,612 per semester.
Heartland Scholarships Available
The Iowa State University Ivy College of Business is pleased to announce four Heartland Scholarships of $5,000 each for Iowa residents who enroll in ISU’s full-time Master of Finance graduate degree program.
This amount approximately covers one semester of tuition. The purpose of the scholarships is to promote the value of a graduate business degree among Iowa residents while launching this new program.
To be considered for a scholarship, you must be an Iowa resident and be admitted to the MFin program. You can Request Information if you have questions.