/From across the globe to Iowa State

From across the globe to Iowa State

From across the globe to Iowa State

The Ivy College of Business welcomes and embraces students from all over the world. 42% of the 2017 full-time MBA cohort chose to move to Ames from a different country to earn their degree at Iowa State. This month we highlight two international students who shed light on how they chose to pursue their MBA at the Iowa State University Ivy College of Business.

Shimanta Chakraborty

2018 Cohort

Please tell me a little bit about your hometown and home country.

I am from Bangladesh, a South Asian country blessed with lush green nature and many rivers (the Ganges, Brahmaputra, and Meghna Rivers all bring nutrients to the land along their way down from the Himalayas). Bangladesh has a population of about 158 million and is one of the top ten most populated country in the world. Bangladesh is blessed with many natural resources; its land is fertile and is very agriculture centric. Bangladesh is surrounded by India, Nepal, and Burma (Myanmar), and on the Southern side facing the Bay of Bengal – Cox’s Bazar, the longest sea beach in the world. Bangla or Bengali is the official language of the country, though there are many different languages in practice in rural areas. Cricket is the most popular sport in the country, which I have also grown up playing in the streets, and later followed by soccer. Bangladesh has six seasons, and we celebrate Bengali New Year’s (Pohela Boishak) on April 14th every year. It never snows in Bangladesh during the winter, though it gets cold (57*F lowest recorded temperature in Bangladesh in 2017) and foggy, sometimes creating low visibility. Badminton is a famous winter sport in Bangladesh and is played across the country with people across various ages (from 9 years old to sometimes even 70 years or older). The main religion in Bangladesh is Muslim and the country has many mosques, so the city Dhaka is sometimes called the city of Mosques. Rice and fish are our staple food, though different world cuisines are available in Dhaka and the port city Chittagong.

What did you study for your undergraduate? Did you go straight to grad school? If not, what did you do in the interim? 

I enrolled in the University of Dhaka, one of the most prestigious state university in the country, located in the capital city Dhaka. My undergrad was in Biological Science (Honors) specializing in Soil, Water and Environment. I graduated from the University of Dhaka in 2014, since then I have been working in a multinational company called British American Tobacco Bangladesh (BAT).

I started at BAT as a Management Trainee, where I worked across different functions to understand the business. With exposures in Tobacco growing and processing, Manufacturing, Marketing, Procurement and Logistics and other functions. Then I worked in Souza Cruz, Brazil, another tobacco operation under BAT. I worked there for three months for a short-term assignment to improve the supply chain operation in BAT. After two years as a Management Trainee, I was promoted as an Area Manager and was looking after the tobacco operation in one of the largest tobacco-growing regions. I have worked a total of three years in BAT before deciding to get my MBA degree.

Had you been to the USA before deciding to study here?  

This is my first time in USA, I have never visited the country before.

How did you first hear about Iowa State?

I came to know about Iowa State when I was discussing my study options with an Education USA counselor back in my country. The Education USA counselor has suggested me study options based on my future goals and background, and ISU was one of them. Before coming to the USA, I had very few ideas about universities in the USA. So, the guide and support received from the Education USA counselors was a big help.

What were the deciding factors in choosing the Ivy MBA?

ISU is very famous for their agriculture, coming from an agricultural background the Ivy MBA would allow me to interact with Agri-Business Industries and if the opportunity arises collaborate with researchers in Agricultural. While working in BAT I have performed various field research and learned a lot on various agricultural practices. Coming from a non-business background, I wanted to build my business and communication skills. The Ivy MBA seemed to match my work goal desires and seemed affordable to get my MBA degree. Also, the Ivy MBA is very famous for their MBA degree and I very happy to make the right choice.

What were some surprising things you discovered about Iowa State after you arrived?

I have discovered the amazing hospitality from ISU upon arriving in Ames. I got to know about all the local stores in Ames at the ISU Welcome Fest, all the amazing clubs in ISU through the Club Fest. Also, the International Students and Scholars Office is always trying to help international students and introduced me to the American culture through various events. ISSO had arranged field trips for us to Des Moines and scheduled various events for us to get to know Iowa and ISU better. I also received a warm welcome at the orientation to get to know the Business department better and was very amazed by the support and guidance received from the Business Career Services throughout the program. I was really surprised to receive such a warm welcome to the university, as I have never experienced this during my undergrad back home.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

My Interest includes cycling, travelling, and cooking. I plan to travel more to experience new people, culture, food, and music. I listen to music in various languages, even though I don’t understand the words, but I love listening to good music even if it is in Portuguese or Japanese. My inspiration to work and life comes from my mother, she is a cancer survivor and an amazing house-wife.

I find joy in interacting with people and being active on campus. I am in the Cultural Ambassador Program, a Peer Mentor and in the Marketing Committee of Student Union Board. I also play occasional cricket with my fellow Bangladeshi community here at ISU.

I want to create the best memories possible during my stay here in ISU and I plan to exhaust myself in trying to make this happen.

Qianshan Ji

2018 Cohort

I am Baoying,China which is under administration of Yangchow. Baoying is the only county with nearly a million people of Yanzhow. No knows anything about it unless you are from that area. But historically, Yangzhou was one of the wealthiest cities in China, known at various periods for its great merchant families, poets, artists, and scholars. Everyone in China knows something about Yangchow.

I studied Industrial Engineering for my undergraduate. I worked for 12 years before I went back to school. I worked in different roles during the career development.

I had never been to US before deciding to go for ISU MBA program.

I first heard about ISU from US news when I started to think about taking the MBA program.

For me, I want the best value from the program. ISU is the best choice based on cost-benefit analysis. So the cost and ranking makes ISU stand out.

I was told by many sources that I would be really bored in ISU. I find it surprising that there are so many fun things going on both academically and out of class activities.

2018-12-04T14:15:44+00:00