Scheduling Interviews and Class Attendance Policy
It is the policy of Business Career Services that classes and academic success come first in the lives of students. When scheduling interviews with companies, please make every attempt to schedule at times that do not conflict with classes. Companies are generally flexible about interview scheduling.
Offer Acceptance Policy
Business Career Services encourages employers to give students as much time as possible to evaluate job offers. Employers are expected to follow the guidelines established by NACE in this area. Employers should provide candidates a minimum of three weeks from the date of offer to evaluate the opportunity for both internships and full-time positions. We also encourage employers to consider requests for additional time on an individual basis. Offers made to students for positions should be made in writing. Verbal offers should be followed with written offers via email or post.
Business Career Services Interview Cancellation and No-Show Policy
(applies to on-campus interviews, Interview Day and mock interviews)
Cancelling an interview:
- Students are asked to provide a 48-hour notice or more if they need to cancel an interview in Business Career Services.
- If we do not receive notice prior to 48 hours, the missed interview is considered a “no-show”.
- Student CyHire accounts will be blocked making students unable to schedule additional on-campus interviews until an apology e-mail is sent. NOTE: any previously scheduled interviews should be kept or cancelled appropriately.
- To remove the block from CyHire, an apology e-mail will need to be sent to the recruiter. Contact information is available in 1320 Gerdin Business Building. This information cannot be obtained by e-mail or phone call. Copy email@example.com in this e-mail, so our office is aware you have followed the correct procedure. When we receive this e-mail, the account will be unblocked.
- If we do not receive this e-mail within three business days of the missed interview, the CyHire account will be disabled and the student will be unable to log in. The account will remain blocked and disabled until we receive a copy of the apology email to the recruiter.
If any additional interviews are missed, the above procedure will be followed, and an appointment will need to be scheduled with the Director of Business Career Services to discuss professional interview conduct.
If illness or an emergency occurs, call our office (515-294-2542) as soon as possible. If this is not more than 48 hours prior to the interview, it will be treated as a “no-show”. However, by following the “no-show” policy, it may be possible to maintain a positive relationship with the company and reschedule the interview. The decision to reschedule is at the discretion of the company.
Reason for this no-show policy:
Although most late cancellations are due to unanticipated events (illness/emergency), the consequences are the same whether there is a legitimate excuse or not:
- Lost opportunities for other students.
- Loss of potential hires for employers.
- Wasted time for employers who travel and take time away from work to interview on campus.
- Potential long-term damage, such as ISU being removed from an employer’s targeted campus list.
Policy on Accepting Job Offers and Continuing to Job Search
It is in poor professional form to continue to job search after accepting a job offer. Employers take a harsh view of a student who accepts a position and later declines. This is called “reneging”. Acceptance of a job offer constitutes ceasing all job searching activities including further resume submission, interviewing, etc. If a student is not prepared to go to work for the company that makes the job offer, they should respectfully decline the offer in a timely manner and continue job searching. Business Career Services is happy to advise students as it relates to issues of job searching, negotiation, and accepting/declining offers.
When contacting Business Career Services staff by e-mail, you can generally expect a response within 48 hours. If you do not hear back in that amount of time or your need is urgent, please call 515-294-2542.