The purpose of a reference page is to provide a list of contacts who can confirm the information on your resume and speak to your quality of work. These individuals should be familiar with your applicable skills. Select individuals you believe will give you a positive recommendation. Provide each reference a copy of your resume and information about the position for which you are applying.
** Prior to selecting someone as a reference, you must contact them and ask permission. **
Select 3 – 5 references. These may include:
- Former and current supervisors/managers
- Professors/Academic Advisors
- Student Organization Advisors
- Contacts from professional organizations
- Contacts from volunteer/community activities
Some companies will request references with the job application. Otherwise, you should have your reference page prepared and bring several copies to the interview.