This year the College of Business is celebrating two anniversaries – the 10th year of the Gerdin Business Building and the 30th year of being a college at Iowa State University. A celebration will be held on October 30th (10/30), 2014.
10th Anniversary of the Building
Some people considered an addition to Carver Hall instead to consolidate the College of Business’ faculty, staff, and student needs. An Iowa businessperson was asked to be a guest speaker. Fortunately, the guest speaker was scheduled in a lower level Carver classroom. After the lecture, the speaker saw first hand the need and opportunity for a new facility and that speaker was Russ Gerdin. Russ and Ann Gerdin’s lead gift in 1998 made it possible for the new building project to move forward.
The Board of Regents approved the project and began the planning and architect selection in July 1999. Architectural firm Zimmer Gunsul Frasca from Seattle, led by ISU alumnus Dan Huberty and Alan Davis, designed the new facility. Miron Construction Company was awarded the building contract in November 2001. Completion of the building and College occupation of the building occurred in December 2003 and opened for students at the start of 2004 spring semester.
An excerpt from the Building Retrospective
30th Anniversary of the College of Business
Business related studies had been offered at Iowa State College under various headings. For example, early catalogues (1920-21); (1923-24) listed courses under Business Engineering in the Department of Economics. They consisted of Accounting, including Cost Accounting; Business Law (for women); Business Law (for engineers); Veterinary Law and Corporate Organization. It is interesting that legal problems in the business world of that time were of such disparate nature. The course for women could have been in recognition of their newly won right to vote and the legal ramifications thereof.
In 1929-30, Business Engineering became Engineering Economics taught in the Department of Economics, History and Sociology. Additional courses in Finance, Investments and Investment Analysis had been introduced. In the latter 1930’s the title was again changed, this time to Industrial Economics which was one of four subsections or majors in the Department of Economics and Sociology. The others were Agricultural Economics, General Economics and Consumption Economics. This title held until the Industrial Administration Department was organized.
Through the 1950’s and 1960’s, the department had developed a core requirement of approximately 30 credits which included Business Organization, Transportation and Traffic Management, Finance, Marketing, three courses in Accounting and two in Business Law. The first minor was used for more specialization in the above fields of study and the second minor was to permit a concentration in other departments or colleges. It was possible to offer 70-75 credits in business and related courses, depending upon the educational and vocational objectives of the students. In the early 1970’s when the in-department minor was eliminated by college decree, the term “option” was coined to accomplish the same purpose.
Incredible growth in student enrollments continued without pause. In the fall of 1978, 1,170 men and 655 women were registered as majors, a 31 percent increase from the numbers in 1975. Average quarterly enrollments increased to 4,475 in 1977-78, up from the 3,649 in 1975 and the number of budgeted faculty, full and part time appointments rose from 30 to 50.
The momentum generated throughout the 1970’s toward the establishment of the School continued into the Handy Administration with ever increasing intensity. The Department of Industrial Administration became a School of Business Administration on September 1, 1980. Five departments were established: Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing and Transportation and Logistics. The School remained in the College of Sciences and Humanities. There were 2,242 majors.
By 1984, The College of Business Administration was formed, making it Iowa State University’s ninth college. The College of Business Administration received accreditation on April 23, 1991 from the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business. The name was changed to the College of Business on August 1.