Frequently Asked Questions
What services are available to my student?
- Our professional staff is here to help your student every step of the way, no matter where they are in their career journey. We assist:
- Undeclared students wanting career guidance
- Students seeking experiential learning opportunities
- Graduating students needing practical job search skills and tools
- Alumni looking to expand their career options
- Services are provided through individual and group advising, on-campus recruiting, career development courses, a career resource library, and annual Career Fair events.
When should my student begin to use Career Services?
- Career Services are available to students throughout their years at Iowa State. We encourage first year students to familiarize themselves with the staff and resources available in order to prepare for internship and job search seeking in subsequent years. While students are encouraged to use Career Services at any point during their college career, they will benefit most by progressive involvement from their first year through their senior year.
What should my student do if they are undecided about a major or career choice?
- Career Services offers a variety of assessments and inventories that can help students identify important information about themselves. Follow up advising is provided any interested students.
How can I help my student with their career?
- Family members can play an important role in their student’s career needs. You can start by referring them to Career Services. You can also help by supporting their career decisions and assisting them in identifying networking contacts.
How can family members help Career Services?
- The following are a few ways in which you can help
- Encourage your employer to recruit at Iowa State University
- Forward employment notices and information
- Refer your student to use Career Services
- Sponsor an internship at your place of business
Who should I contact if I have questions?
- Please feel free to contact our staff at any time if you have questions! We can be reached at 515.294.2524 or firstname.lastname@example.org