Happy 32nd anniversary to the College of Business! On July 1, 1984, the College of Business Administration officially opened for students.
Even though summer months tend to be somewhat quiet in the halls, there has been plenty of activity. We have enjoyed having future students and their families in the building this summer during orientation. They bring a lot of excitement and energy into the building – and great questions! Organizing orientation is no easy task. Please join me in thanking the many people who helped organize all of the visits, in particular those in the undergraduate office, as well as others who assisted. You’ve all done a wonderful job to make orientation such a positive event for incoming students and their families.
Please mark your calendar for the College of Business Welcome Back Picnic on Friday evening, 5:30-7:30 p.m. August 19, at Moore Memorial Park in the Big Bluestem Shelter (same location as last year). You will receive an email invitation soon.
If you have not already, please visit our web site to see some of the exciting accomplishments from our faculty and departments. We have many successes here to be proud of.
I hope you are enjoying a great summer and some extra downtime with your friends and families.
Jim Cannon, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Accounting, presented a paper titled, “Do Firms Pass Commodity Cost Savings to Consumers? Evidence of Asymmetric Pricing in the U.S. Air Transportation industry,” at the JAAF conference. The paper was co-authored with Olena Watanabe, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Accounting.
Melvin Lamboy-Ruíz, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Accounting, and Abhijit Rao, Ph.D., Director of Communications Center, were selected to present a seminar titled, “Go Team! Implications of Flipping a Team-Based Learning Course” at the 3rd Annual Big XII Teaching and Learning Conference, June 2-3, 2016, at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas.
Business Career Services
Kathy Wieland, Business Career Services Director, is serving as a 2015-2016 University Representative in the Land O’Lakes Global Food Challenge program. The culmination of the program is travel with 10 students and 10 representatives from four institutions along with Land O’Lakes staff/leadership to view applications of the program solutions in Rwanda and Kenya the last two weeks of June.
Business Career Services is starting the process of hiring an additional Career Coordinator. This position is now posted on the ISU job board. If you know of candidates that may be a fit for the role, please have the individual apply online and contact us if they have questions.
While attending the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) conference in Chicago, IL, Melanie Gella, Career Coordinator; Sarah Van Vark, Career Coordinator; Angela Wagner, Program Coordinator; Kathy Wieland, and Meredith Williams, Career Coordinator/Recruiting Coordinator, had the opportunity to meet with employers from: BDO, Cortland Capital, DuPont, General Dynamics, Groupon, Hormel, IBM, Transamerica, and Wells Fargo. In June, our staff also met with Market Rate Consulting, Inc. and Cerner.
Melanie Gella, Angela Wagner, Kathy Wieland, and Meredith Williams will attend the Annual MWACE (Midwest Association of Colleges and Employers) Conference July 20 – 22 in Lombard, IL. This conference includes professional development opportunities for staff relating to career services and trends. They are also finalizing several meetings with employers during their time in Lombard.
Melanie Gella and Jake Waddingham will attend the Annual Career Professionals of Iowa Conference July 7 – 8 at Graceland University in Lamoni, IA.
Business Career Services will host the 9th Annual Employers Circle August 2. The Employers Circle will include Business Career Services staff and representatives from the top hiring organizations for the College of Business. If you have interest in engaging with our top recruiters, please let us know and we can include you in lunch plans. We are currently organizing employer visits for the summer. If you are aware of an employer you believe should recruit business students from ISU, please let us know and we will reach out to the firm or organization.
Fall 2016 Upcoming Career Events – mark your calendars!
- Mock Interview Day for College of Business students is Wednesday, September 14.
- The Speaker Series for Business Week 2016 will be September 12 – 20. Specific speakers, dates, locations, and times will be announced in early September.
- The Business, Industry, and Technology Career Fair will be held on Wednesday, September 21 in Hilton Coliseum from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m. The annual Leadership Breakfast will be that morning prior to the Career Fair from 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
Ioannis V. Floros, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Finance, had the following:
- Paper titled, “Qualified Residential Mortgages and Default Risk” (co-authored with Joshua T. White), is now forthcoming at the Journal of Banking and Finance.
- Paper titled, “Redacting proprietary information at the initial public offering” (co-authored with Audra L. Boone and Shane A. Johnson), is now featured on the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation.
- Paper titled, “At-The-Market Offerings” (co-authored with Matthew T. Billett and Jon A. Garfinkel) was presented at the University of Mississippi.
- Paper titled, “Reducing uncertainty through a two-stage IPO” (co-authored with Rebel A. Cole and Vladimir I. Ivanov) was presented at American University and is scheduled to be presented at the upcoming European Financial Management Association 2016 Annual Meetings in Basel, Switzerland.
Jamie Brown, Ph.D., Dean’s Professor of Finance had a paper titled, “Growing Up Without Finance” (with Tony Cookson and Rawley Heimer) accepted for presentation at several conferences, including:
- The 2016 Boulder Summer Conference on Financial Decision Making
- The 2016 ITAM Finance Conference in Mexico City
- The 2016 Edinburgh Conference on Legal Institutions and Finance
- The 2016 Annual Conference of the Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics (SIOE) in Paris
- The IBEFA Summer Meeting in Portland
- The University of Washington 2016 Summer Finance Conference
- The European Finance Association Annual Meeting in Oslo
After four years with us, Elizabeth Salton, Program Assistant, has accepted a position with Iowa State Transportation Services. Her last day with the College of Business will be Thursday, July 7. Even though she is leaving us, she will still be on campus and, of course, always a Cyclone! Please join us in wishing Elizabeth all the best in her new role.
Michele Appelgate, Director of Marketing and Alumni Affairs, attended a LinkedIn webcast titled “The Power of Publishing on LinkedIn.”
Emily Bowman, Graphic Designer, attended a “Facebook Boost Your Business” event during their bus tour stop in Altoona, IA, on June 21.
Gracen Kostelecky, Web Manager, attended a Web Accessibility Video Conference along with a Hootsuite Video Marketing Seminar.
Graduate Business Career Services
Lauren Drew has joined the Graduate Programs staff as Assistant Director, Graduate Business Career Services. Lauren will oversee career advising and coaching, career management coursework, and programming for all full-time College of Business graduate programs. Welcome Lauren!
Lauren Drew, Assistant Director of Graduate Career Services, completed CareerLeader assessment training June 20, at Georgia State University, and attended the MBA Career Services & Employer Alliance annual global conference in Atlanta, GA, June 21-24.
Mark Peterson, Director of Graduate Career Services, attended the MBA Career Services & Employer Alliance annual global conference in Atlanta, GA, June 21-24.
ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship/CyBIZ Lab
We Moved! Get the first look at our new and improved office space at the ISU Core Facility.
Save the date for the CYstarters Finale Event: Friday, July 29, from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at the new ISU Core Facility. Each of the eight startups participating in the 10-week summer accelerator will be presenting and we will be celebrating the end of the program. Iowa State faculty, students, and the public are all welcome to attend. RSVP here.
Florence Honoré, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Management:
- presented the paper “A Two-Sided Matching Approach for Status-Motivated Supply Relationships: Foal-Sharing Contracts in the Thoroughbred Horse Industry” together with Darcy Fudge Kamal and Cristina Nistor at Industry Studies Association Annual Conference on May 25, Minneapolis, MN.
- attended the Professional Development Workshop (PDW) for early career industry studies scholars on May 24, Minneapolis, MN.
David King, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Management:
- Conference: Bauer, F., King, D., Schriber, S., Matzler, K. 2016. Acquisition Characteristics, Integration Choices, and Performance: A Process Perspective. EURAM, Paris, May 31 – June 4. Recognized as “Best Paper” for EURAM Corporate Strategy track
- Conference: Meglio, O., King, D., Risberg, A. 2016. Speed in acquisitions: Advancing a process perspective. EURAM, Paris, May 31 – June 4.
- Identified by ResearchGate as the most cited person in the Management Department for the month of May
Andreas Schwab, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Management and Dean’s Fellow in Management, conducted a methodology workshop titled, “Beyond Statistical Significance: Effect Sizes, CIs, Graphs, Baseline Models, Meta-Analysis and Bayesian Statistics” at INSEAD in Singapore on June 10, 2016.
David King was interviewed:
- by Amy Mayer for Iowa Public Radio on June 9
- by the Business Record, for an article June 24, titled, “University Research: Insight into research that can help your business.”
Jackie Rees Ulmer was quoted in an article June 10, titled, “Tackling Open Source’s Security Problem.”
Supply Chain and Information Systems
Drew Zhang, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Information Systems, delivered a tutorial on applied text mining as part of the Midwest Big Data Summer School.
Tyler Morgan, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Supply Chain Management:
- Had a paper accepted for publication: Richey, R. G., Morgan, T. R., Lindsey-Hall, K., and Adams, F. G. (2016) “A Global Exploration of Big Data in the Supply Chain.” International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management (forthcoming).
- Had a conference paper accepted: Morgan, T. R., Gabler, C. B., and Pourreza, S. “Developing Supply Chain Transparency through an Environmental Orientation and Product Life Cycle Stewardship.” CSCMP Educators Conference, Purchasing and Supply Management Track, September 2016, Orlando, FL
Zhengrui Jiang, Ph.D., Thome Professor in Business and Associate Professor of Information Systems, presented his research on multi-generation diffusion and expert systems at four international institutions, including the University of British Columbia (Vancouver, Canada), Dalian University of Technology (Dalian, China), Tianjin University (Tianjin, China), and Tsinghua University (Beijing, China) in May 2016.
We’re excited to welcome our new class of freshmen into the college. Through orientation, we’ve seen 599 new freshmen and their families in the College of Business. There will be a last change orientation for any incoming freshmen and transfer students on Thursday, August 18. Additionally, we’ve seen 918 guests for orientation (family members).