AMES, Iowa — Iowa State University accounting students will be offering free tax preparation services through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program this season. Taxpayers with household incomes of $52,000 or less are eligible for basic return preparation services. Free electronic filing (e-filing) of eligible federal and state returns is also available.
The VITA program at Iowa State is located in the Gerdin Business Building on the Iowa State University campus. The program will be offered beginning Monday, February 17 and run through Tuesday, April 15, except for the week of March 17-21 when Iowa State University is on spring break.
Available hours and locations are:
- Mondays from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., 1127 Gerdin Business Building
- Tuesdays from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., 1127 Gerdin Business Building
- Wednesdays from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m., 1117 Gerdin Business Building
Appointments can be scheduled at isuvita.appointy.com. There will also be a limited number of walk-in appointments available.
Free parking is available at the East Campus Parking Deck, across the street from the Gerdin Business Building, on Monday and Tuesday evenings. Paid parking is available at the Memorial Union Parking Ramp during all sessions. CyRide also has stops outside the Gerdin Business Building; visit the CyRide site for route details.
The program is sponsored by the Iowa State University chapter of Beta Alpha Psi, a national honor fraternity for financial information professionals.
Taxpayers should bring the following to the VITA site to have their returns prepared:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (an individual’s Social Security Number or the business’ Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- You must also know whether you are being claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.